Sample: The Parable of the Dagger
A series on the use and abuse of words; why you can’t define a word any way you like; how human brains seem to process definitions. First introduces the Mind projection fallacy and the concept of how an algorithm feels from inside, which makes it a basic intro to key elements of the LW zeitgeist.
This Channel Includes:
- 27 articles written by Eliezer Yudkowsky
- 3.4 hours of audio narrated by George Thomas
Note: Due to its abundant use of math, this package excludes the article Conditional Independence and Naive Bayes.
More Content from Less Wrong
Download for $4.99
- The Parable of the Dagger
- The Parable of Hemlock
- Words as Hidden Inferences
- Extensions and Intensions
- Similarity Clusters
- Typicality and Asymmetrical Similarity
- The Cluster Structure of Thingspace
- Disguised Queries
- Neural Categories
- How An Algorithm Feels From Inside
- Disputing Definitions
- Feel the Meaning
- The Argument from Common Usage
- Empty Labels
- Taboo Your Words
- Replace the Symbol with the Substance
- Fallacies of Compression
- Categorizing Has Consequences
- Sneaking in Connotations
- Arguing "By Definition"
- Where to Draw the Boundary?
- Entropy, and Short Codes
- Mutual Information, and Density in Thingspace
- Superexponential Conceptspace, and Simple Words
- Conditional Independence, and Naive Bayes
- Words as Mental Paintbrush Handles
- Variable Question Fallacies
Need more information? Our frequently asked questions may have the information you're looking for.
If you ever need need a hand, you can always contact us.